News

Radio prank involving royal baby was illegal, group says

Radio prank involving royal baby was illegal, group says

Britain's Prince William, right, and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, hold the Prince of Cambridge, Tuesday July 23, 2013, as they pose for photographers outside St. Mary's Hospital exclusive Lindo Wing in London where the Duchess gave birth on July 22. Photo: Associated Press

Radio watchdogs in Australia have accused the station that hosted the notorious Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge prank call last year of acting illegally.

Several staff at London’s King Edward VII Hospital fell victim when 2Day FM presenters Mel Greig and Mike Christian tricked them into revealing the Duchess’ condition while she was being treated for severe morning sickness in December.

One of the staff, nurse Jacintha Saldanha, was found dead from an apparent suicide days later, and officials at the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) launched a probe into the incident.

In a confidential report, which has emerged as part of a court case, ACMA bosses ruled 2Day FM chiefs acted illegally by allowing the prank to go ahead, according to British newspaper The Daily Telegraph.

Lawyers for the station are reportedly attempting to block the report, insisting the ACMA has no authority to make a criminal finding.

A London inquest into Saldanha’s death was delayed earlier this month while more information is gathered.

Recent News

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: July 30

elvis

The Hollywood headlines that made history.

in Entertainment

REVIEW: ‘Vacation’ is a fun road trip for a new generation

18-overlay7

Rating: R | Run time: 99 min. | Genre: Comedy | Starring: Ed Helms, Christina Applegate, Skyler Gisondo, Steele Stebbins…

in Entertainment

Conan O’Brien accused of stealing jokes

20-overlay8

The late night host is being sued for allegedly lifting gags from Twitter.

in Music

Rolling Stones rocker Keith Richards to be subject of new documentary

keithrichards

"Keith Richards: Under the Influence" will premiere on Netflix in September.

in Entertainment

‘Empire’ star sued for alleged abuse

terrencehoward

Terrence Howard's ex-wife is suing for assault and battery, and intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress, and seeking an unspecified amount in damages.