Donovan open to move abroad if no deal with L.A

Donovan open to move abroad if no deal with L.A

Striker Landon Donovan says he is a ready for a new challenge abroad if no deal is reached with MLS. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – United States striker Landon Donovan says he is a ready for a new challenge abroad if he does not reach an agreement with his Major League Soccer club L.A Galaxy.

Donovan, who has had loan spells with English Premier League club Everton and Germany’s Bayern Munich in the past, will become a free agent in December if he does not extend his current deal with the Galaxy.

“Right now I am enjoying myself, I want to continue enjoying myself, we have received offers from teams in different countries that are intriguing,” Donovan told Fox Sports’ Fox Soccer Daily on Monday.

“I am still going to speak with the Galaxy and see how they value me and see where they want to go, going forward, but I am really open in a way that I haven’t been before in the past.

“I was pretty content to stay in LA. But if it doesn’t work out and we can’t come to an agreement here then I am ready for a different challenge and we will see what happens,” he added.

Donovan took an extended break from the game after securing the MLS Cup title with the Galaxy in December and lost his place in the U.S. national team.

However, he returned to the international stage at the recent CONCACAF Gold Cup and was the tournament’s joint top scorer with five goals, helping Juergen Klinsmann’s team to the title.

Losing Donovan would be a blow for the Galaxy after David Beckham left the club last season for a brief pre-retirement spell in France with Paris Saint Germain.

Irish striker Robbie Keane remains as the team’s top international alongside Donovan but the club’s promise to bring in a big-name player to replace Beckham has yet to materialize.

While Brazilian Kaka of Real Madrid and England midfielder Frank Lampard of Chelsea were both strongly linked with a switch to L.A, the club instead filled their remaining elite ‘designated player’ slots last week by signing homegrown defender Omar Gonzalez to a new contract.

Recent News

in Entertainment

Cosby to be deposed in sexual abuse lawsuit


Bill Cosby was expected to testify under oath in a lawsuit brought by a woman accusing the veteran comedian of sexual abuse.

in Entertainment

OPENING WEEKEND: Biopic ‘Steve Jobs’ competes against ‘Pan,’ ‘The Walk’


Here's a look at the movies set to open nationwide this weekend.

in Viral Videos

WATCH: Soldier breaks rank to hug daughter at homecoming


Top brass at a Colorado Army post are all smiles after a 2-year-old girl interrupted a general's speech to dash across the room and hug her dad, who had just come home from a nine-month deployment.

in Entertainment

‘Ant-Man’ sequel and three more Marvel movies are coming


The superhero universe will add three more as of yet unnamed movies by 2020.

in Entertainment

Carlton says there won’t be a ‘Fresh Prince’ reboot


Alfonso Ribeiro is adamant there will never be a TV reboot of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," because no one can take the place of their "cornerstone" James Avery.