News

Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro will serve life without parole plus 1,000 years to avoid the death penalty. Photo: Associated Press/Tony Dejak

CLEVELAND (AP) — A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has agreed to plead guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

Ariel Castro is entering the plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors said the 53-year-old Castro would be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Castro had been charged in a 977-count indictment.

He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.

The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. Each said they had accepted a ride from Castro.

They escaped Castro’s house May 6 when one kicked out part of a door and called to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested within hours and has remained behind bars.

Recent News

in Music

Black Sabbath plans one more album, tour

Fresh
blacksabbath

The rockers are planning to record their last album and embark on a final tour next year.

in Entertainment, Sports

Michael Strahan making film debut in ‘Magic Mike’ sequel

Fresh
strahan

The former football star turned TV host is set to take on the big screen.

in Music

Stevie Nicks says new album about Lindsey Buckingham

Fresh
stevienicks

The couple had one of the most famous romances in rock.

in Entertainment

Amanda Bynes back behind bars

Fresh
bynes2

The troubled former Nickelodeon star is in trouble for drugs again.

in Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: Fan tackled on field

Fresh
18-overlay3

An Ohio State fan tried to rush the field in the middle of Saturday's game, but he wasn't counting on a quick-thinking coach.