News

Prosecutors: Accused Boston bomber admitted role in attack

Prosecutors: Accused Boston bomber admitted role in attack

BOSTON BOMBINGS:Tamerlan Tsarnaev (L), 26, is pictured in 2010 in Lowell, Massachusetts, and his brother Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, is pictured in an undated FBI handout photo in this combination photo. Photo: Reuters

BOSTON (Reuters) – The accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev had admitted to a role in the attack during an interrogation in hospital a day after his arrest, U.S. prosecutors said in a court filing.

That statement, and others made in the hours following Tsarnaev’s arrest but before he had been informed of his rights to legal representation, should be admitted at his upcoming trial because the agents interviewing him believed there was still a risk to the public of further attacks, prosecutors said in a series of filings late Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Boston.

“From the moment the agents began questioning Tsarnaev about the Marathon bombings, he readily admitted his own involvement,” prosecutors said.

While the suspect, now 20, said he and his older brother Tamerlan – who died after a gunfight with police days after the bombing attack that killed three people and injured 264 – were the only people involved in the bombing, investigators did not believe him, prosecutors said.

“Agents continued to question Tsarnaev not to extract a confession, which they already had, but because of their reasonable belief that Tsarnaev was concealing information about impending attacks, accomplices, and/or the existence of additional bombs,” prosecutors said.

Tsarnaev faces the possibility of execution if convicted of the April 15, 2013 attacks, as well as the murder of a university police officer three days later as he and his brother attempted to flee Boston.

His lawyers earlier this month argued that the statements made while Tsarnaev was hospitalized for gunfire wounds, after police found him hiding in a drydocked boat on April 19, should not be admitted because he did not have an attorney present.

Prosecutors also released some new details of a note Tsarnaev had scrawled on the inside of that boat, in which he tried to explain his motivations. They said the note also amounted to a confession of the crime.

“Know you are fighting men who look into the barrel of your gun and see heaven, now how can you compete with that,” he wrote, according to prosecutors. “We are promised victory and we will surely get it.”

(Reporting by Scott Malone; Editing by Bernadette Baum)

Recent News

11 hours ago in Entertainment

Jim Beam fills 14 millionth bottle of bourbon

jimbeam807686855761

Jim Beam has filled and sealed its 14 millionth barrel of bourbon since the 1933 repeal of Prohibition, achieving a first in the bourbon industry.

11 hours ago in Music

Stone Temple Pilots shoot down Scott Stapp rumors

scottstapp

Stone Temple Pilots have denied reports suggesting the former Creed rocker is set to become their new lead vocalist.

11 hours ago in Entertainment, Viral Videos

‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ as told by emojis

11-overlay-2

If the blockbuster movie was told entirely by characters on your cell phone.

11 hours ago in Entertainment, Weird

‘Rock’ your clock

dwaynetherockjohnson690454149554

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has an app to help you organize their day.

11 hours ago in Entertainment, Sports

Hulk Hogan seeks second slam of Gawker over racist comments leak

Terry Bollea, known as professional wrestler Hulk Hogan, listens while testifying in his case against the news website Gawker at the Pinellas County Courthouse, in St. Petersburg, Fla., Monday, March 7, 2016. Hogan is suing Gawker for $100 million for publishing a video of him having sex with his best friend's wife. (Boyzell Hosey/Tampa Bay Times via AP, Pool)

Hulk Hogan accused Gawker of leaking his racist remarks in a lawsuit filed in Florida on Monday involving a secretly-recorded sex tape of the wrestling celebrity, who recently won $140 million in damages against the media website in a related case.