News

Hernandez murder trial to start in January

Hernandez murder trial to start in January

AARON HERNANDEZ:Superior Court Judge Susan Garsh ruled at a hearing in Fall River District Court that the former NFL star's trial would begin on Jan. 9, according to a spokeswoman for Bristol County Superior Court. Photo: Reuters

By Elizabeth Barber

BOSTON (Reuters) – Former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez will be tried in January for the murder of semi-professional football player Odin Lloyd last summer, a Massachusetts judge ruled on Tuesday.

Superior Court Judge Susan Garsh ruled at a hearing in Fall River District Court that the former NFL star’s trial would begin on Jan. 9, according to a spokeswoman for Bristol County Superior Court.

Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the shooting death of Lloyd, whose body was found near Hernandez’s home in North Attleborough in June 2013. He has also pled not guilty in Boston to separate charges of killing two men after an incident involving a spilled drink at a nightclub in 2012.

Garsh did not rule on Tuesday on a motion filed a day earlier by Hernandez’s lawyers that asks the court to “take prompt action” to prevent news broadcasts of Hernandez’s hearings from capturing courtroom conversations between the former Patriots player and his lawyers.

The motion says a relative of Hernandez who watched a hearing earlier this month via the Internet was able to overhear “private conversations between counsel and their client while they were seated at counsel table awaiting the hearing to begin.”

The motion cites Massachusetts court rules that allow electronic recording in court but bar anyone from recording private conversations between defense lawyers and their clients.

“It is essential to the defendant’s receiving effective assistance of counsel in this case that his counsel be able to confer among themselves and confer with their client confidentially,” read the motion.

(Editing by Scott Malone and Grant McCool)

Recent News

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: March 30

FILE - In this March 2, 2014 file photo, Bono arrives at the Oscars at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. A New York City doctor says U2 singer Bono suffered multiple fractures and had to have two surgeries after his weekend bicycle accident. Orthopedic trauma surgeon Dr. Dean Lorich says Bono underwent a five-hour surgery on his elbow in which three plates and 18 screws were inserted on Sunday night. Bono had another surgery to repair a fracture to his left pinkie on Monday. Lorich says Bono will need therapy but a full recovery is expected.

A look back at some of Hollywood's most memorable headlines.

in Entertainment

This weekend in entertainment history

rainman

A look back on some of Hollywood's most memorable headlines.

in Music

This week’s top rock tracks

foofighters

LISTEN: This week's top rock songs, according to the latest Billboard chart.

in Music

Ozzy Osbourne to undergo surgery

British musicians Ozzy Osbourne of Black Sabbath, arrives at the Classic Rock Roll of Honour awards 2013 at the Camden Roundhouse in north London, Thursday, Nov. 14, 2013.

Ozzy Osbourne has cancelled his upcoming Ozzfiesta event in Mexico to undergo surgery.

in Entertainment

Angelina Jolie crowned world’s top feminist icon

Angelina Jolie arrives at the 20th annual Critics' Choice Movie Awards at the Hollywood Palladium on Thursday, Jan. 15, 2015, in Los Angeles.

Angelina Jolie and Emma Watson top the list of the world's foremost feminist icons.