News

2 killed in shooting at Virginia naval base

2 killed in shooting at Virginia naval base

FATAL SHOOTING: A sailor and a civilian were fatally shot at a Virginia Navy base. Photo: Associated Press

By Eric M. Johnson

(Reuters) – A civilian shot dead a sailor aboard a ship at a U.S. Navy base in Norfolk, Virginia, late on Monday before being killed by base security forces, naval officials said.

Security services briefly shut down Naval Station Norfolk after the incident involving the two men, which occurred on board the USS Mahan destroyer while it was docked at the base’s Pier 1, Navy spokeswoman Beth Baker said.

The civilian had been carrying a firearm on the base in violation of rules that only allow security personnel to do so, Baker said.

The lockdown lasted approximately 45 minutes, she added. The base, the largest naval station in the world, was secure.

The sailor was an active-duty member and Navy officials were looking into the “access and credentials” of the civilian, who did have authorization to be on the installation, Baker said.

The shooting came months after a gunman opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard, some 200 miles north of Norfolk, killing 12 people and wounding four being slain by police.

At the time of Monday’s shooting, Navy personnel were on board the ship and also on the pier. It was unclear who subdued the suspect and in what circumstances.

Officials have launched an investigation to establish a motive for the killing and information about the men involved, Baker said. More information about the incident was not immediately available.

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service as well as base security personnel were conducting the investigation.

(Reporting by Eric M. Johnson; Editing by Gareth Jones)

Recent News

9 hours ago in Entertainment

Jim Beam fills 14 millionth bottle of bourbon

jimbeam807686855761

Jim Beam has filled and sealed its 14 millionth barrel of bourbon since the 1933 repeal of Prohibition, achieving a first in the bourbon industry.

9 hours ago in Music

Stone Temple Pilots shoot down Scott Stapp rumors

scottstapp

Stone Temple Pilots have denied reports suggesting the former Creed rocker is set to become their new lead vocalist.

9 hours ago in Entertainment, Viral Videos

‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ as told by emojis

11-overlay-2

If the blockbuster movie was told entirely by characters on your cell phone.

9 hours ago in Entertainment, Weird

‘Rock’ your clock

dwaynetherockjohnson690454149554

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has an app to help you organize their day.

9 hours ago in Entertainment, Sports

Hulk Hogan seeks second slam of Gawker over racist comments leak

Terry Bollea, known as professional wrestler Hulk Hogan, listens while testifying in his case against the news website Gawker at the Pinellas County Courthouse, in St. Petersburg, Fla., Monday, March 7, 2016. Hogan is suing Gawker for $100 million for publishing a video of him having sex with his best friend's wife. (Boyzell Hosey/Tampa Bay Times via AP, Pool)

Hulk Hogan accused Gawker of leaking his racist remarks in a lawsuit filed in Florida on Monday involving a secretly-recorded sex tape of the wrestling celebrity, who recently won $140 million in damages against the media website in a related case.