FM99 says thanks to all the veterans who have served and those that continue to serve our country.
Local Events for Veterans Day
– The 2013 Tidewater Veterans Day Parade and Ceremony will be held today at the Oceanfront in Virginia Beach. The procession starts at 9 a.m. at 16th Street and Atlantic Avenue and ends at the Tidewater Veterans Memorial at 19th Street. A ceremony will be held at the memorial at 11 a.m.
– First Landing State Park will host a care package drive for deployed troops. Packages will be assembled from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. today in the Trail Center. A flag retirement ceremony conducted by local Boy Scouts starts at 2:30 p.m. at the picnic area.
– A military march will be held at 4:20 p.m., starting at the Capitol building in Williamsburg. Info: www.colonialwilliamsburg.com or 800-447-8679.
– A Veterans Day ceremony will be hosted by the Mayor’s Advisory Commission on Veterans Affairs at 2 p.m. today at Nauticus, 1 Waterside Drive, Norfolk. Retired Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy William H. Plackett will speak.
– A wreath-laying ceremony will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Chesapeake Veterans’ Memorial in front of City Hall, 306 Cedar Road.
SPECIAL OFFERS for Veterans
– Free admission is being offered to the The Mariners’ Museum for active-duty and retired military personnel and their families today. Valid for up to four people with military ID. 100 Museum Drive, Newport News. Info: www.marinersmuseum.org, 596-2222.
– Virginia state parks will waive parking fees today and will offer special programming during the holiday weekend. For a list of programs: http://1.usa.gov/17mlcaD.
– In honor of veterans, everyone can enjoy free admission to all national parks today. The National Park Service will also honor vets with special events, including the annual illumination of 6,000 grave sites of Union soldiers in the Poplar Grove National Cemetery at Petersburg National Battlefield. A full list of National Park Service events can be found at www.nps.gov/findapark/event-search.htm.
– Brides Across America is teaming up with Maya Couture, 12 Best Square in Norfolk, to provide military brides the opportunity to receive a free wedding gown from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. today. To register, go to www.bridesacrossamerica.com and complete the registration form. The event is by appointment only.
– With the purchase of a service today, Great Clips will hand out a free haircut card to give to a veteran. The cards are redeemable at any U.S. Great Clips through Dec. 31, with proof of military service. Limit one card per customer.
– Krispy Kreme is giving veterans a free doughnut and free small coffee today at participating U.S. locations.
– The Olive Garden is providing a free entrée from a special menu for all vets today and a 10 percent discount for family members dining with them.
– Denny’s is offering free all-you-can-eat pancakes to active, inactive and retired military personnel from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. today with a valid military ID.
– Free admission to Colonial Williamsburg will be available to veterans and their dependents today. Free tickets for dependents of currently deployed troops with appropriate identification. Veterans can bring a copy of their honorable discharge paperwork as identification of service.